Thursday, December 27, 2012

I can't help myself! Back again.

Since I have so much free time, I decided to try blogging again. The truth is that I love blogging. I first got into the online journaling community in 1999 and maintained a journal for the better part of 8 years, on various sites. I love to write out my days; I often end my day by writing a short-story-length status on Facebook, before I realize that I'm about to post a short-story-length status, and I delete it because I hate long statuses on Facebook. Why not try blogging again, and have an appropriate place to put it all? I am often asked, "Are you blogging this anywhere?" when I post pictures of the various crafts, recipes, and activities I am doing around the house, so now I can say, "Yes!"

Today was Levi's, my husband's, birthday. He had to work late, but I had a nice dinner planned for when he arrived home. I rubbed a beef roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then soaked it in red wine for a few hours. It was cooked at 350° until it reached 140° internal, which was a nice medium rare. So yummy! I also roasted a veggie mix of sweet potatoes, red potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic cloves, and cherry tomatoes, and made a fresh fruit salad. I am already looking forward to leftover steak sandwiches tomorrow. I have a recipe pinned on my Pinterest account for some easy no-knead bread I've been wanting to try, that looks perfect to slap some thinly sliced steak onto.

DIY photo transfer on wood
After dinner we gave Levi his presents: a rugged cigar humidor and a humidifier tube, and a wood photo transfer I made. The transfer was really simple to make, but a learning experience. It's made with a gel medium, a laser printed image, and mod podge. The tutorial that I used is detailed and easy to follow. The edges are roughed up because the large section of the picture over Levi's shoulder didn't transfer for some reason; I think I didn't use enough gel medium. I roughed up the other edges to make it look intentional, since they all transferred clearly. Levi was pretty impressed with it, and said if he had a desk at work he'd take it there. High praise, in my opinion! However, with a lack of a work desk, we'll have to get some hanging hardware and find a place for it somewhere in the house. I've been itching to try the process again with other photos or phrases, so now that Levi's seen this one I can get started! I wonder if he has any scrap wood laying around in the shed, otherwise a trip to Lowes may be in order.

1 comment: