Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It's treat time!

I am a firm believer that a healthy, balanced, real food diet is the absolute foundation to good health. That said... I'm also a firm believer that junk food in low moderation is pretty awesome. And sometimes you see something on Pinterest that you just can't ignore. Enter stage left: homemade donut holes! These are made with premade biscuit dough, fried, and rolled in powdered sugar. I would use homemade dough in the future to make these slightly healthier, but I happened to have a tube of mini biscuits in the fridge already. My kids wolfed them down, and I enjoyed a few as well. I'd intended to save some for Levi when he got home tonight, but I don't imagine these keep very well anyway, and the kids were practically licking their plates for more...


Directions:

  1. Open a tube of ready-to-bake biscuit dough, mini biscuit dough, or prepare your own homemade dough.
  2. Cut the dough into bite sized pieces. Using mini biscuits, I cut each biscuit into fourths.
  3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot to 350°F.
  4. Carefully drop biscuits in, a few at a time. You want to have room in the pot for them to float around. I used my smallest pot and did five donuts at a time. I also used wooden chopsticks to maneuver my donuts, but if you're not chopstick-profficient you can use small tongs or a fork.
  5. Allow the donuts to cook a minute or two on each side. I found that most of mine flipped on their own when they were done on one side, but some needed to be manually flipped.
  6. Carefully remove cooked donuts to a plate or bowl lined with paper towels to drain, and repeat for the remaining dough.
  7. Once cooled, roll in your choice of powdered sugar, cinnamon, granule sugar, or enjoy plain!

No comments:

Post a Comment